Monday, November 17, 2008

So what is the big deal about a fixed gear bike?

For me, a fixed gear bike takes me back to my roots. Growing up in Colorado, my friends and I would always ride our single-speed bikes around the neighborhood. We felt one with the road and had a freedom all our own.  

This is what Zack Rosen of Mission Bicycles said in his San Fran interview with Bay Area Innovators. He states, "The best way to understand is to try riding one. It's a very different experience from riding a "hybrid" bike typically recommended for city biking. The geometry of the bicycle frame and the direct drive connection you have with the road makes it a much more enjoyable experience."

I want to get back to building a bike from the ground up. Taking something old and making it new. Recycling frames and parts and making the world a better place. The advantages of a fixie are endless, but I'm excited about the simplicity, low maintenance, better performance and better physical conditioning that it will give me. Who knows, maybe I will even be able to ride backwards a time or two.

Want to join me and create your own fixie?
.......__o 
.......\<, 
....( )/ ( )...

No comments: