Thursday, January 1, 2009

Day 14:: Custom Crankset

So, tonight I spent about 2 hours building a customized crankset. I took the original set apart and found that the middle chainring was in the best shape so I cleaned it up and it is now like it was new from the factory. The teeth are nice and deep and are barely worn - that's exactly what you want for a fixie! 

The crank and the front chainring were all one piece so I took a dremel tool and used a cutting blade to cut the chainring off of the crank. I now have a crank arm with 5 points where the middle chainring can be mounted. I purchased some single-speed chainring bolts but when I went to put them on I found that the hole size is different from the 5/16" standard. I built a jig like the one in the picture above, put the old bolts up through the bottom and then cut them off with the dremel. This worked like a charm and saved me the $8 that I paid for the new chainring bolts. 
.......__o 
.......\<, 
....( )/ ( )...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hi, can u give me some more detailed information on how to cut a crank and where to get the tools? thanks. spader725@gmail.com